Helpful Motability Information

The Motability Scheme allows people with disabilities to remain mobile while minimising car ownership's financial burden. There are many advantages of Motability Insurance from breakdown assistance, so find out more today and enjoy LSH Auto Motability in full.

Assistance and protection for breakdown

You will benefit from full breakdown cover for the full lease period when you apply for the Motability Scheme and your application is approved. RAC Motability Assist provides this and is designed to give you peace of mind while out and about.

The cover for Breakdown includes:


RAC Motability Assist can attempt to get your car up and running as soon as possible, whether you break down at work, home or on-the-go. Or, take it to a repairer near you.

Onward journey

Where required, replacement transport will be arranged. Motability Assist can also help to arrange up to £99 per person or £300 per group for overnight lodging or onward travel costs, whichever is the lower number. They can carry up to 8 people to a single location as well.

Cars for replacement

You'll be issued with a new vehicle for up to 48 hours if your vehicle is not roadworthy and needs any sort of repair. Terms and conditions apply.

Breakdown cover

Is there anything that RAC Motability Assist doesn’t cover?

  • Travelling in Europe
  • Trailers and caravans

RAC Mobility does not cover travel by road outside Europe. RAC European breakdown cover is available when travelling across Europe.

RAC Motability Assist can tend for your vehicle if your mobility vehicle breaks down when towing a caravan or trailer. However, there will be no support for the cost of caravan or trailer repairs. RAC Motability can tow your vehicle and caravan / trailer to a destination of your choosing if the breakdown is due to a mobility vehicle fault. They will also tow you to safety if the caravan / trailer caused the problem, up to a distance of 10 miles.

If I break down, what do I do?

On 0800 73 111 73, call RAC Motability Assist and someone should be there within 45 minutes to help. Once you’ve made the important call, you must:

  • Remain next to the kerbside or hard shoulder
  • Switch the engine off and put your hazard lights on
  • Get everybody out of the car, but leave your animals inside.
  • If required, use motorway emergency telephones (UK 0800 73 111 73, Republic of Ireland-1800 535 005). Provide all important data such as your name, registration number, location, and what you believe might have caused the vehicle to break down. Let RAC know if anyone has a wheelchair.

Driving overseas

With mobility insurance, you can take your vehicle free of charge to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein and abroad within the European Union for up to 90 days in any 12-month period.

What's in the insurance package not covered?

The excess varies depending on the driver's age and experience.

  • Loss of your keys
  • Personal properties
  • Non-standard or changes to equipment
  • Damage to interiors
  • Moving other vehicles
  • Drivers that are illegally driving and uninsured
  • Cover for Company Use

Other Advantages

  • Loss of benefit from use
  • Recovery for Uninsured
  • Keep composed, offer priority to protection and do not admit fault.
  • Dial 999 if necessary
  • Collect the descriptions of the other driver and witness information
  • For roadside assistance, call the RAC
  • You must show your Certificate of Motor Insurance if the police are called
  • To record the incident and file a lawsuit, call RSA Motability (RSAM)
  • Call RAC Motability Assistance for roadside assistance on 0800 83 111 73 or 0333 202 1878 for roadside assistance and assistance.

A temporary replacement vehicle will be issued if you can't use your vehicle because of failure or damaged. If an appropriate vehicle is not available, you may be able to claim benefits for loss of use.

RSAM can help to recover the expense of things not covered by your policy if an accident is caused by an established third party.

Girl going swimming
Women shopping

Insurance Protection for Motability Scheme

All mobility vehicles are covered by RSA Motability insurance (RSAM), which covers:

  • Loss of your car or damage to it
  • Accidental damage
  • Harm resulting from fire or theft
  • Glass repair or replacement
  • In-car equipment that is permanently installed or supplied as standard with the car
  • Adaptations and improvements that have been told about by RSAM
  • Accessories or equipment supplied with the vehicle
  • Replacement locks that have stolen keys and reported the theft to the police
  • Driving your car for voluntary or charitable work, unless you earn a fixed periodic payment
  • Drive to and from your usual job location

Cover for personal injuries

If an accident occurs that leads to death, loss of limb or permanent loss of sight in either or both eyes, insurance for the driver and any passengers is given up to a maximum of £ 500 per person.

Accidents and Motability

Accidents occur. So, if you are in an unpleasant situation, try to recall the advice below.

If you have further concerns about the general mobility scheme or about breakdown assistance, accident assistance or protection, contact us today.

Woman in a wheelchair
Next Steps One of our friendly members of staff would love to help.